All new incoming UT Knoxville students, including undergraduate, graduate, transfer, law school, and veterinary medicine students are required to present proof of adequate immunization and tuberculosis (TB) requirements.
Full-time, distance-learning students are not required to submit immunizations to the Student Health Center. Please consult with your college on the requirements. If you have not been defined by your enrollment as a full-time distance learning student, you must still meet these requirements by law. This may include students who are taking some or all of their classes online.
Active service members or veterans attending UT Knoxville can submit their Military ID or DD214 to satisfy immunization requirements.
Submit Your Immunization Records
Step 1: Complete online tuberculosis (TB) screening questionnaire in the Student Health patient portal. Additional instructions included in the FAQ section below.
Step 2: Verify that the immunization records step is complete in your MyUTK checklist.
Step 3: If your immunization records are not completed in the MyUTK checklist, upload your immunization records using the Student Health patient portal. Additional instructions included in the FAQ section below.
If you are unable to submit your immunizations online, please print and complete the Immunization/Tuberculosis Packet.
Frequently Asked Questions
All students are required to submit proof of:
- Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR) Vaccine – Proof of immunization with two doses at least 28 days apart or (+) antibody titers for any student born after 1 Jan 1957 is required.
- Varicella (Chickenpox) Vaccine – Proof of immunization with two doses at least 28 days apart or a (+) antibody titer is required
- Tuberculosis (TB) Screening Questionnaire and, if subsequently required, a Tuberculosis (TB) Risk Assessment must be submitted.
Students living on campus are ALSO required to submit proof of:
- Meningitis Vaccines – All new incoming students who are under 22 years of age and will be residing in on-campus housing, must have documentation of the Meningococcal Serogroup A, C, W, and Y Vaccine given on or after their 16th birthday or they will not be permitted to move into on-campus housing.
Other currently recommended, but not required, vaccines include:
- Hepatitis B Vaccine – Proof of immunization with a three-dose regimen or a (+) antibody titer is required for all Health Science students.
- Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Vaccine
- Meningococcal Serogroup B Vaccine
- Primary Polio series
- Tetanus, Diphtheria, and Pertussis Vaccine (Tdap)
- Covid-19 vaccine
- Influenza vaccine
- Fall semester: August 1
- Spring semester: January 1
- Summer semester: May 1
If you are not compliant:
- An immunization hold will be placed on your MyUTK account, and you will not be eligible to change your class schedule, receive grades, register for the next semester, or graduate until all immunization requirements have been met and the hold is released.
- You will not be permitted to move into on-campus housing until completed.
- Navigate to the Student Health patient portal.
- Enter your UT Knoxville NetID in the username box and password in the upper right corner.
- At top of the page, please click on the forms dropdown.
- Click on TB Screening Questionnaire.
- Answer questions 1-7.
- Sign and submit.
If you answer NO on all the questions, there is nothing else required of you.
If you answer YES on any of the questions, you will need to schedule a tuberculosis test at the Student Health Center or have your medical provider fill out the Tuberculosis Risk Assessment Form.
If you need to schedule a tuberculosis test, please call 865-974-3648 to schedule an appointment.
Immunizations must be submitted to the Student Health Center online using the Student Health patient portal.
- Navigate to the Student Health patient portal.
- Enter your UTK Net ID and Password.
- Click on the “Immunization” tab at the top of the page. Click the “Required” and “Recommended” tabs to enter dates. Enter your immunization information as provided by your healthcare provider and then click “Submit.”
- A pop-up message will appear directing you to next upload a paper/hard copy of your UTK Immunization/TB Record for verification purposes.
- Your UTK Immunization/TB Record must be signed by a healthcare provider or in lieu of their signature, you may attach a copy of your official, personal immunization record to the form. UTK Immunization Exemption Forms only need to be submitted if applicable.
- Confirmation emails will be sent to your UTK email YourNetID@vols.utk.edu upon receipt. Please allow 72 hours for approval.
If you are unable to submit your immunization records online, please print and complete the Immunization/Tuberculosis Packet and submit it to the Student Health Center by one of the following means:
University of Tennessee
Student Health Center
1800 Volunteer Blvd
Knoxville, TN 37996-3102
If you will be on campus before the semester begins, you may deliver your immunization records to the Immunization Coordinator at the Student Health Center.
Please do not submit your records in multiple formats.
For verification purposes, you must submit a paper copy of your immunization record and, if required, the Tuberculosis Risk Assessment Form signed by your health care provider or your TB Test Results.
Yes, there is a process to request an exemption to the immunization requirement. The Immunization Exemption Form only needs to be completed and submitted if applicable.
If you are exempt from certain immunizations for medical reasons, the Immunization Exemption Form must be signed by your healthcare provider.
Questions? Contact the Immunization Coordinator.