Updates and Information on Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Skip to content Skip to main navigation Report an accessibility issue

Student Health Insurance

Medical health insurance is available for students who meet the eligibility requirements. Student Health Services only files claims for United HealthCare Student Resources Insurance.

  • Medical, dental, and vision (separate) insurance plans are available for students who meet the eligibility requirements (https://www.studenthealthprograms.com/faq/)
  • The Student Health Center ONLY files claims with the UT sponsored insurance carrier; if you have private insurance, you must file your own claims after payment is made for services
    • Separate Dental & Vision plans are available for annual enrollment in Fall only – see broker website for details (https://www.studenthealthprograms.com/documents/)
    • NOTE: ALL international students are automatically enrolled by the university


All Students

Insurance Enrollment

  • Annual/Fall: September 20, 2020
  • Spring: January 31, 2021
  • Summer: May 31, 2021

International Students

International Grad Assistant Waiver Deadlines

  • Fall: August 31, 2020
  • Spring: January 31, 2021
  • Summer: May 31, 2021

More information

International Student with Own Insurance Waivers

  • Fall: August 31, 2020
  • Spring: January 31, 2021
  • Summer: June 30, 2021

More information

Effective Dates Rate
Annual: August 1 – July 31 $2,208
Fall: August 1 – December 31 $920
Spring/Summer: January 1 – July 31 $1,288
Summer: May 1 – July 31 $552

Help, I need an insurance card!

Download the Mobile App using the QR codes to access your insurance card and view medical claims

(from the app, you may fax or email your insurance card to medical providers)


Who is Eligible?

  • All international students are automatically enrolled in this plan
  • Students who are degree seeking, taking 6 or more undergraduate credit hours or 3 or more graduate credit hours, with at least 1 hour qualifying as “on campus”
  • Students participating in a co-op program
  • Dependents of eligible students (the student’s spouse (husband or wife) or Domestic Partner and dependent children under 26 years of age. See the definitions section of the Brochure for the specific requirements needed to meet Domestic Partner)

Information for International Students

Information for Graduate Students with an Appointed Assistantship

Who is Not Eligible?

  • Students enrolled in ALL online courses only
  • Distance Learners
  • UTHSC (Memphis) Students MUST enroll in the UT Memphis insurance plan; please contact your school’s administrator.
  • UT College of Social Work (Nashville): Please contact The Hildreth Agency to enroll (865) 691-4652 or (800) 874-0831


The Hildreth Agency will administer the student insurance plan through United HealthCare Student Resources.

You may contact them directly at:

The Hildreth Agency / Student Health Programs
10259 Kingston Pike
Knoxville, TN 37922-3566
Phone: 865-691-4652 or 800-874-0831
Email: studenthealth@hildrethins.com

More Information


How Insurance Works with Student Health


Did you know?

A portion of the Student Programs and Services Fee goes toward reducing costs for Student Health as well as giving you access to improve your personal health at facilities like TRECS.

Student Health Center
Division of Student Life

1800 Volunteer Blvd.
Knoxville, TN 37996-3102
Phone: 865-974-3135