All international students are required to have health insurance while enrolled at the University of Tennessee.
International students in the United States on a visa other than an F1 or a J1 visa may contact a Student Health representative to request a special waiver form if they would like to have the cost of insurance removed from their MyUTK account.
International students who are approved for permanent residency in the United States must contact a Student Health representative.
All International Students
Enrollment into the insurance program occurs on a per semester basis (international students are not enrolled for a full academic year).
To visit medical providers outside of the Student Health Center, please download the Referral Guide.
Dependents (e.g. children, spouses) are not automatically covered. Dependent insurance must be purchased separately within the first 30 days of the dependent(s) arrival into the United States. Complete the Dependent Enrollment Form.
International students may waive the cost of UT insurance if they have purchased insurance before arriving into the United States as long as it meets the university mandated criteria.
An International Student Insurance Waiver form, available at the Student Health Center, must be completed at the beginning of each semester. The following documentation is required:
- Unlimited medical coverage (MUST include preventive AND emergency care);
- Coverage for pregnancy cannot be excluded;
- No waiting period for coverage;
- Deductible not to exceed $500 per policy year;
- Repatriation coverage of at least $20,000;
- Medical evacuation coverage of at least $50,000;
- Pre-existing conditions MUST be covered;
- Requires student to pay less than 25% per accident/illness;
- Proof of coverage (letter from insurance company) and insurance card;
- A.M. Best Rating of “A-” or better or Standard & Poors Rating of “A+” or better;
- All information MUST be provided in English and US Dollars.
UT also requires a letter from your insurance company clearly stating your coverage period and benefits (coverage for the fall semester must be August 1—December 31, coverage for the spring semester must include summer and be January 1—July 31)
International Graduate Students with a GA/GTA Appointment
ELI students must contact their program coordinator for enrollment information and to obtain an insurance card.
Contact the UT English Language Institute at 865-974-3404 or visit eli.utk.edu for more information.
Visiting Scholars are NOT ELIGIBLE to be seen at the Student Health Center; please contact The Hildreth Agency for insurance information at 865-691-4652.