For enrollment purposes, the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, and/or the State of Tennessee mandate newly admitted students meet and submit proof of certain immunization and tuberculosis (TB) requirements. Active service members or veterans attending UTK can submit their Military ID or DD 2214 to clear the immunization requirement.
All new incoming UTK students – including undergraduate, graduate, transfer, law school, and veterinary medicine students – are required to comply with the immunization requirements. Below you will find instructions for:
- Submitting records online (or alternate method) and downloading immunization packet
- A list of required and recommended vaccines
- Important reminders and notices.
Directions for submitting your immunization/TB packet
Click Here to submit/upload packet through the Patient Portal (Preferred Method)
Click Here to submit the packet if you’re unable to utilize the Patient Portal
Click Here to download Immunization Packet (to print)
This packet contains all forms and instructions to complete the REQUIRED immunization and TB record process; it should be completed by you and your healthcare provider.
UT Knoxville requires the following four immunizations and the tuberculosis (TB) screening:
- Hepatitis B Vaccine – Proof of immunization with a three dose regimen or a (+) antibody titer is required.
- Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR) Vaccine – Proof of immunization with two doses at least 28 days apart or (+) antibody titers for any student born after 1 Jan 1957 is required.
- Meningococcal Serogroup A, C, W, and Y Vaccine – Proof of immunization on or after the 16th birthday for any student less than 22 years of age who will be residing in on-campus housing is required. Failure to obtain this vaccine will prevent you from moving into on-campus housing upon your arrival.
- Varicella (Chickenpox) Vaccine – Proof of immunization with two doses at least 28 days apart or a (+) antibody titer is required
- Tuberculosis (TB) Screening Questionnaire and, if subsequently required, a Tuberculosis (TB) Risk Assessment must be submitted.
Other currently recommended, but not required, vaccines include:
- Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Vaccine
- Meningococcal Serogroup B Vaccine
- Primary Polio series
- Tetanus, Diphtheria, and Pertussis Vaccine (Tdap)
- Deadlines for all Submissions – Please turn in your immunization forms before or during the orientation season.
- Exemptions to Required Immunizations – The UTK Immunization Exemption Forms only need to be completed and submitted if applicable.
- Required Healthcare Provider Signatures – The UTK Immunization Record must be signed by your healthcare provider or in lieu of their signature you may attach a copy of your official, personal immunization record to your UTK Immunization Packet. The Tuberculosis (TB) Risk Assessment Form, if required, must be signed by your healthcare provider. If you are exempted from certain immunizations for medical reasons, the UTK Immunization Exemption Form must be signed by your healthcare provider.
- Meningitis Vaccines – All new incoming students who are under 22 years of age and will be residing in on-campus housing, must have documentation of the Meningococcal Serogroup A, C, W, and Y Vaccine given on or after their 16th birthday or they will not be permitted to move into on-campus housing. As of this time, the Meningococcal Serogroup B Vaccine is highly encouraged by our medical staff, but is not mandated by the state. You may obtain more information regarding meningitis prevention at the CDC website Meningococcal Vaccines for Preteens, Teens or by contacting your Primary Care Provider.
If you have any questions regarding immunization requirements, you may contact our Immunization Coordinator at 865-974-2264.