Updates and Information on Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Skip to content Skip to main navigation Report an accessibility issue

Outpatient Monoclonal Antibody Therapy for COVID-19

What are monoclonal antibodies?

Monoclonal antibodies are laboratory-made proteins that mimic the immune system’s ability to fight off harmful viruses and bacteria that can cause disease.

Why choose to receive monoclonal antibody therapy for COVID-19?

Monoclonal Antibody Therapy may minimize the potential for higher-risk patients to progress to severe disease and/or hospitalization.

Who can receive outpatient monoclonal antibody therapy for COVID-19?

In general, if you test positive for COVID-19, are at higher risk of developing severe disease or hospitalization, and meet the following criteria, you may be eligible to receive a monoclonal antibody therapy for COVID-19:

  • You are not hospitalized,
  • Your COVID-19 test comes back positive,
  • You have had mild to moderate symptoms that started less than 10 days ago, and
  • You have certain medical conditions or other factors that may place you at higher risk of progressing to severe infection such as being:
    • Age 65 years or older,
    • Obese or overweight, which may include a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 25 or higher for adults,
    • Pregnant,
    • On immunosuppressive treatment,
    • Dependent on medical-related technology (tracheostomy, gastrostomy, or ventilation) not related to COVID, or
    • Are diagnosed with:
      • Diabetes,
      • Chronic kidney disease,
      • An immunosuppressive disease,
      • Cardiovascular disease (including congenital heart disease),
      • Hypertension,
      • Chronic lung disease, like chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), moderate to severe asthma, cystic fibrosis, or pulmonary hypertension,
      • Sickle cell disease, or
      • Neurodevelopmental disorders, like cerebral palsy

What is the name of the monoclonal antibody used for

outpatient treatment of COVID-19?

Casirivimab/imdevimab (REGEN-COV®) by Regeneron is a monoclonal antibody that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has issued an emergency use authorization (EUA) for the treatment of mild-to-moderate COVID-19 in non-hospitalized adult and pediatric patients.

How is casirivimab/imdevimab (REGEN-COV®) given to patients?

Casirivimab/imdevimab (REGEN-COV®)may be given intravenously (with an IV through a vein) or subcutaneously (injected beneath the skin).

How do I get Monoclonal Antibody therapy if I qualify?

If you believe that you would be an appropriate candidate for this therapy, please contact your healthcare provider. Multiple referral centers are available locally to provide the therapy, but you must be referred by a healthcare provider.

  • Students may contact the SHC by calling the Telephone Triage Nurse at (865) 974-5080.
  • Employees should contact their private health care provider.

The Tennessee Department of Health has posted a webpage where you can find local infusion centers: https://covid19.tn.gov/antibody-infusion-locations/

Referral from your healthcare provider is required.

Student Health Center
Division of Student Life

1800 Volunteer Blvd.
Knoxville, TN 37996-3102
Phone: 865-974-3135